The Red Hat Certified Specialist in OpenShift Application Development exam (EX288) tests your ability to deploy existing applications in a Red Hat® OpenShift® Container Platform environment.
By passing this exam, you become a Red Hat Certified Specialist in OpenShift Application Development, which also counts toward becoming a Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA®).
This exam is based on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform 4.2
Exam Preparation - Study points for the exam
To help you prepare, the exam objectives highlight the task areas you can expect to see covered in the exam. Red Hat reserves the right to add, modify, and remove exam objectives. Such changes will be made public in advance.
As part of this exam, you should be able to perform these tasks:
Work with Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform
Work with container images
- Create and work with multiple OpenShift projects
- Implement application health monitoring
Troubleshoot application deployment issues
- Use command line utilities to manipulate container images
- Optimize container images
Work with image streams
- Troubleshoot application deployment issues
Work with configuration maps
- Create custom image streams to deploy applications
- Pull applications from existing Git repositories
- Debug minor issues with application deployment
Work with the source-to-image (S2I) tool
- Create configuration maps
- Use configuration maps to inject data into applications
Work with hooks and triggers
- CDeploy applications using S2I
- Deploy virtual machines using templates
- Customize existing S2I builder images
Work with templates
- Create a hook that runs a provided script
- Test and confirm proper operation of the hook
- Use pre-existing templates written in either JSON or YAML format
- Work with multicontainer templates
- Add a custom parameter to a template
As with all Red Hat performance-based exams, configurations must persist after reboot without intervention.
- Red Hat encourages you to consider taking Red Hat OpenShift Application Development I: Containerizing Applications (DO288) to help prepare. Attendance in these classes is not required; students can choose to take just the exam.
- While attending Red Hat classes can be an important part of your preparation, attending class does not guarantee success on the exam. Previous experience, practice, and native aptitude are also important determinants of success.
- Many books and other resources on system administration for Red Hat products are available. Red Hat does not endorse any of these materials as preparation guides for exams. Nevertheless, you may find additional reading helpful to deepen your understanding.
Audience for this exam
- This exam consists of a single section lasting three hours. The exam is a performance-based evaluation of your ability to deploy applications in a Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform environment. You will perform a number of routine tasks similar to those you would be expected to perform in an OpenShift Container Platform DevOps environment and will be evaluated on whether you have met specific objective criteria.
These audiences may be interested in becoming a Red Hat Certified Specialist in OpenShift Application Development:
Prerequisites for this exam
- Application developers in a DevOps role who are responsible for managing a Red Hat® OpenShift Container Platform environment
- Application developers in a DevOps role who are responsible for implementing a Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform environment
- Application developers who are responsible for creating containerized applications or converting existing applications into containerized applications
Recommended next exam or course
- Prior to taking this exam, you should possess a basic understanding of container technology. Some programming experience is recommended, but not required.
- Red Hat OpenShift Development II: Creating Microservices with Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes (DO292)