The Red Hat Certified Engineer Specialist in Advanced Automation: Ansible Best Practices exam (EX447) is a performance-based test of your knowledge and skill in managing multiple systems using Red Hat® Ansible® Engine and Red Hat Ansible Tower.
By passing this exam, you become a Red Hat Certified Specialist in Advanced Automation: Ansible Best Practices, which also counts toward becoming a Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA®).
This exam is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0, Red Hat Ansible 2.8, and Red Hat Ansible Tower 3.5.
Exam Preparation - Study points for the exam
You should be able to accomplish the following grouped tasks without assistance:
Understand and use Git
Manage inventory variables
- Clone a Git repository
- Update, modify and create files in a Git repository
- Add those modified files back into the Git repository
Manage task execution
- Structure host and group variables using multiple files per host or group
- Use special variables to override the host, port, or remote user Ansible uses for a specific host
- Set up directories containing multiple host variable files for some of your managed hosts
- Override the name used in the inventory file with a different name or IP address
Transform data with filters and plugins
- Control privilege execution
- Run selected tasks
- Populate variables with data from external sources using lookup plugins
- Use lookup and query functions to template data from external sources into playbooks and deployed template files
- Implement loops using structures other than simple lists using lookup plugins and filters
- Inspect, validate, and manipulate variables containing networking information with filters
Install Ansible Tower
- Run a task for a managed host on a different host, then control whether facts gathered by that task are delegated to the managed host or the other host
Manage access for Ansible Tower
- Perform basic configuration of Ansible Tower after configuration
Manage inventories and credentials
- Create Ansible Tower users and teams and make associations of one to the other
Manage job workflows
- Manage advanced inventories
- Create a dynamic inventory from an identity management server or a database server
- Create machine credentials to access inventory hosts
- Create a source control credential
Work with the Ansible Tower API
- Create a job workflow template
Back up Ansible Tower
- Write an API scriptlet to launch a job
- Back up an instance of Ansible Tower
As with all Red Hat performance-based exams, configurations must persist after reboot without intervention.
- Red Hat encourages you to consider taking Advanced Automation: Ansible Best Practices (DO447) to help prepare for the exam.
- Attendance in these classes is not required; students can choose to take just the exam.
- While attending Red Hat classes can be an important part of your preparation, attending class does not guarantee success on the exam. Previous experience, practice, and native aptitude are also important determinants of success.
- Many books and other resources on system administration for Red Hat products are available. Red Hat does not endorse any of these materials as preparation guides for exams. Nevertheless, you may find additional reading helpful to deepen your understanding.
Audience for this exam
- This hands-on, practical exam requires you to undertake real-world tasks. You will be provided with one or more virtual systems and required to perform tasks similar to those you would perform on the job. Internet access is not provided during the exam, and you are not permitted to bring any hard copy or electronic documentation into the exam. This prohibition includes notes, books, or any other materials. For most exams, the documentation that ships with the product is available during the exam.
The Red Hat Certified Specialist in Advanced Automation: Ansible Best Practices exam will be of interest to anyone seeking to demonstrate a broader knowledge and understanding of Ansible best practices, applying Ansible in larger and more complex projects, and using Ansible Tower, including those in these roles:
Prerequisites for this exam
- Experienced Linux system administrators
- DevOps engineers
- Cloud administrators
- Other IT professionals
- Take Advanced Automation: Ansible Best Practices (DO447), or possess comparable work experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux®, Ansible, and Ansible Tower.
- Take Red Hat System Administration III: Linux Automation (RH294), or possess comparable work experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Ansible.
- Review the exam objectives